Board of Christian Education
The Board of Christian Education (BOCE) members at Christ the Cornerstone Academy (CTCA) believe Christian education is a lifelong and continuous process. The purpose of the BOCE is to:
- strengthen children in their faith, that they may grow in knowledge of their Savior, in love for Him, serving Him
- help children discover and develop their God given talents and abilities, that they might use them to His glory and the benefit of their fellow man
- cooperate with and assist parents in leading their children into successful, useful, and purposeful living
- maintain high standards of early childhood education integrated with and related to the teaching of God's Word for the development of the whole child
- develop Christian character which will make the graduates of our school leaders in the church, in the community, and in the world of tomorrow
If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions and would like to reach out to the our Board of Christian Education members, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future BOCE meeting dates:
- December 14
- January 11
- February 8
Board of Christian Education Report
October 11, 2016
In Attendance: Bobbie Gomez, Diane Zayas, Beth Davis, Sandra Loefgren, Erika Ruiz-Guiterrez, Elvira Ruiz, Laura D’Albero and Lark Mayeski
Meeting started at 6:30pm with Devotions
Speakers and Representatives: Solar City- fundraising program “Sun Raising” for non profit organizations, partner would be ongoing, and many benefits for CTCA including events and referral bonus for the school. Lark and Bobbie will take to PPC.
Edna- Parent Connection- Review Harvest Festival Ideas
Approval of Minutes
● Looking into if it is possible for staff members to give sick days due to an emergency as long as the staff member has no sick days to take.
● Chilli Cook Off- Need more details and then can bring to PPC.
● Possible form to fill out for staff or parent to bring ideas to BOCE with all details filled out, so as it will not take too much of the meeting time and avoiding having lengthy meetings.
● Carnival Prizes ideas for next years Harvest Festival- need more details
● Nail polish- Approved that girls may wear nail polish as long as it is in good fashion.
● Uniforms- Approved K-5 skirts and white polo will no longer be used after this year.
● LEC conference- Approved that one preschool teacher will go every year
● 4th & 5th grade Jackie Fisher will have 24 students soon, she has an afternoon aide and looking into a morning aide.
● Preschool- Fences- lunch area fence will be put up, bathroom fence- still discussing and chapel fence- should be removable, still discussing.
● Preschool- beginning of the year 2 days- training from both Lark and Quynhlien, prep for classroom and Meet and Greet event is optional but encouraged.
● Preschool- vacation hours for salaried, working through their concerns and will be looking to a lawyer for advice.
Meeting Adjourned with the Lord’s Prayer at 9:00pm
Bobbie Gomez (Chairman)
Bobbie attended the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA receiving her B.S. degree in Biological Sciences. She is married with two children and works full time as a Laboratory Manager in cancer research at the Moores Cancer Center at UCSD. Some of Bobbies hobbies include reading and digital scrapbooking.
Diane has been a Christ the Cornerstone church member since 1974. She attended Miramar College, has been married 51 years, has three children, and five grandchildren. As a retired school secretary from San Diego Unified School District, Diane loves baking, sewing, and has traveled to England, Italy, Germany, and Australia. Her philosophy of education is a child will do very well in a loving Christian environment thereby excelling in academics. Diane joined the BOCE because she loves to help in any way she can to enrich the lives of children, staff, parents, and church members. When asked what her favorite Bible passage / verse was and what it meant to her she responded "Psalm 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: My God; in Him will I trust." An interesting fact about Diane most people may not know is she can't say a joke as she always forgets the punch line.
Elvira Ruiz (Sunday School Director)
I have been a church member at Christ the Cornerstone Church since February 2009. Elected onto the Board of Christian Education in 2010 and I have been on service as the Sunday School Teacher. This will be my 7th year on the board. I try to stay active in all the events hosted at the school and church.
I have a long background as a nurse for 10 years, and as a Home Daycare provider for 31 years where I was able to be at home for my 3 kids. I also helped to raise my grandkids at my daycare. After my last grandson, Dax came through I decided to retire and work part time at Christ the Cornerstone Academy. I have been working here since 2011 and I really enjoy it.
I am a mother to 3 wonderful children, two of which attend church at Christ the Cornerstone. I also have 9 grandchildren who I love dearly. I love cats, enjoy reading, and spending time with friends and family. My favorite bible verse is Psalm 23: The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Erika Ruiz-Gutierrez (Secretary / Website Liaison)
I am a born and raised San Diegan and I currently live with my husband and son in Tierrasanta. I have been a church member at Christ the Cornerstone Church since 2010. Elected onto the Board of Christian Education in 2011, and elected as the chair in 2012 for 2 years. This will be my 6th year on the board or in the middle of my 3rd term. I enjoy being on service to be a part of the transformation of our CTCA youth in Christian Education.
I have a background in education for about 20 years as a teacher’s assistant in the San Diego Unified School District and where I have now been teaching for 13 years. I currently teach 4th grade however I have taught from 1st to 4th grades. I received my Bachelor’s, Credential, and Master’s through California State University San Marcos. Some hobbies include reading, scrapbooking, singing, music, board and card games.
Quotes I live by in Education: Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. -Nelson Mandela / The MORE that you read, the MORE things you will know. The MORE that you learn, the MORE places you’ll go. -Dr. Seuss
Favorite Verse: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13 Strength through Christ is what it boils down to.
Bio under construction, please check back soon.
Sandra has two children attending Christ the Cornerstone Academy, lives in Poway, and works as a realtor.
You have faith in Christ Jesus and love for all of God’s people. …You learned about this hope when you heard the true teaching, the Good News that was told to you. Colossians 1:4-5